Hasselback potatoes got their name from the Swedish restaurant where they were invented and popularized: Hasselbacken. They were first served there in 1953! This is another simple yet tasty recipe and it only requires a few ingredients!
You can pair these potatoes with any meal, we had them with baked beans and ribs. Potatoes are an inexpensive vegetable and the rest of the ingredients are pantry staple items. Give these aesthetically pleasing potatoes a shot for your next meal!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed
¼ cup olive oil
6 tablespoons melted butter
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
optional: 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Mix together the butter, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place a potato between the handles of 2 wooden spoons or chopsticks, this is to help so that you dont cut all the way through the potato. You should slice the potato into thin slices, leaving ¼ inch at the bottom unsliced.
- Put the potatoes on a baking sheet then brush with the butter mixture. Make sure to get all up in between the slices with the mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake until the potato is tender and outside is crisp, about 50-60 minutes.
Optional addition: mixing chopped parsley, chives, or parmesan cheese in with the butter mixture!