When I say this is the best banana bread I have ever had, I am NOT exaggerating. Run, do not walk, to the grocery store to get the ingredients for this! It is likely you already have the ingredients in your pantry and some neglected bananas just waiting to be used. It is simple with only 10 ingredients and incredibly delicious! The brown sugar adds such a great flavor!
Among my family I am known for my banana bread, my brother in law has even made memes about it (see TikTok video for meme). Using brown sugar in my banana bread recipe creates a delicious depth of flavor and sprinkling it on top makes a nice crust!
Brown Sugar Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cup light brown sugar save ¼ cup for step 6 of recipe
- 2 TBSP buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 extra ripe bananas
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, spray a 9×5 loaf pan or line it with parchment paper to help prevent sticking.
- In a medium bowl add the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and whisk until combined.
- In another bowl add egg, 1 cup brown sugar, and oil then whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well, it will be thick and dry.
- Add in the buttermilk, vanilla and mashed bananas and mix until combined.
- Pour into a loaf pan, sprinkle ¼ cup of brown sugar over top.
- Bake in center oven rack for 55-70 minutes. Use a toothpick to check until it comes out clean.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
Drop a comment below if you tried this recipe or if you have any questions about it! Happy baking!
Check out some of my other recipes: