This recipe will provide you with bakery style lemon poppy seed muffins that are fluffy with the perfect amount of lemon!
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission 🙂
My husbands favorite muffins are lemon poppy seed so I have tried many recipes until I landed on the best one. These are fluffy with just the right amount of lemon. It is a quick recipe that will give you bakery style muffins, perfect for a weekend breakfast!
It is essential to bake your muffins at 425 for the first 5 minutes of the recipe in order to get those bakery style muffin domes. I talk more about the science behind bakery style muffins here: Must Know Hack For How To Make Bakery Style Domed Muffins!
My next tip for getting the best muffins ever is to invest in a jumbo muffin tin. This is the size most bakeries use and most of the time I am making muffins for just my husband and I so 6 muffins last us a few days. I have linked the pans below:
Even if you use a regular muffin tin, the muffins come out just as delicious! Happy baking, let me know if you try this recipe!
Fresh Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 425° and adjust oven rack to top 1/3 of the oven. Grease or add muffin cups to 12 cup regular muffin tin OR 6 cup large muffin tin.
- whisk flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, eggs, and lemon zest until smooth.
- Carefully fold the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the melted butter. Do not overmix, if you over mix it then the muffins will be dense.
- Divide batter into muffin tins.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, and then lower the oven temperate to 350° and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Rotate the muffin pan halfway through.Note: Baking the muffins at high heat for the first 5 minutes helps achieve bakery style muffin domes.
- Remove muffin tin and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes and then transfer the muffins from the tin to the wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Read more recipes below: